Thursday, December 13, 2007

Top 25 Songs of 2007

w00t <-- that's an official word now. but that's not important. I finished my list. I'm 99% sure this is it. I'm more of an album guy so a song to me is like the eyes of a girl. how can i say that i like someone's eyes more than someone's feet, i look at the whole body! in this case, the body is the album. but yeah, I like it, whatever.

==honorable mention==
Yndi Halda - A Song For Starlit Beaches
it came out in nov 2006, but i discovered it in feb of this year, so for the most part, it was my favorite song of the year.

25. Vanessa Carlton - My Best
(her voice sounds very good here)

24. 1997 - Garden Of Evil
(Teenage music, but it's catchy and I'm a sucker for male/female dual vocals)

23. Chris Garneau - Not Nice
(a poorman's Elliot Smith, but there's something about this song that makes him rises up in talent)

22. pg.lost - Yes I Am
(instrumental. nothing new, but they do it so well)

21. Circa Survive - The Difference Between Medicine And Poison Is In the Dose
(I can't help but scream the chorus with him, "do you ever wish you were somebody else!")

20. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
(I'm not even a electronic fan, but this track is dope.)

19. The Gaslight Anthem - I'da Called You Woody, Joe
(mature punk music, no way are you serious)

18. Alphabeat - Fascination
(insanely catchy danish pop, kinda like ABBA, but for this decade)

17. Johnnytwentythree - Red Bird
(instrumental, has violins)

16. Aereogramme - Barriers
(voice is very haunting, but the bridge with the violin = oh my god)

15. Band Of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You
(very somber)

14. Streetlight Manifesto - We Will Fall Together
(kickass)

13. YUI - Jam
(I used to hate jpop, then I discovered YUI. She's like the japanese version of Michelle Branch)

12. Shady Bard - Torch Song
(I barely notice the vocals in the song, very comforting especially with the echoing 'save me')

11. Caspian - Some Are White Light
(instrumental, the crescendo type. The ending is overdrive)

10. Lifehouse - Disarray
I remember holding my urges of downloading the album in advance and when I finally got the album, I opened it in my car and started playing it and Disarray rocked me so hard. lyrical content is good, music is good.

09. Explosions in the Sky - The Birth and Death of the Day
This song came out during the peak of my EitS obsession. So my expectations were high, and this song, solidified it. I always felt that this song was a marching battle cry and i feel so released at the 5:25 mark where things get watered away.

08. Stars - Personal
I was left in awe after hearing this song for the first time. The songs before it were really mellow and easy going, and this track was just heavy. Male and female vocals, with the male sounding so desperate and the girl is so lonely. and i like how their voices play off one another. but the ending just made me go 'shit.' because the song tells a story, and i was like "why the heck would someone write a song like this?"

07. Kiss Kiss - Stay The Day
The album closer of a very unexpected album. I was expecting it to climax in the explosive way, they did the even better, the lovely male with female vocals backing it up, "it's all my fault gravity just stopped and we all just floated away."

06. Animal Collective - Fireworks
i do not recommend this to anyone. this song is extacy. It puts me into a trance mode and I cannot explain why i F'N love this song. it's really weird, freaky, messy, but yummy.

05. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
awesome hypnotic song that runs for 7 minutes. I wish it was longer. There's a continuous piano beat the whole time so if you tried to skip in the middle, you'll would think nothing has change, but trust me, it has. There's tiny other beats that sneak there way in the song.

04. Sigur Rós - Heima
my mind goes empty when i hear this song. Like I'm always worried about Liz, but this song takes all those worries away.

03. Moving Mountains - 8105
no comment

02. Immanu El - ...In Valleys
I have nothing to cry about, but if i could cry to a song, this would do it. But not because it's sad, it's actually very reflecting, but with all those emotions closing in on you plus the echoing guitar rifts and lush wordless vocals, it's like.. "oh my god. it's time to wake up."

01. The National - Slow Show
I want to quote the whole damn song, that's how much I'm in love with it. It isn't deep and personal, but the lyrics are so 'stream of consciousness' and I somehow find myself relating to that more than him saying what he feels. plus, John Lennon plays the drums

No comments: