Thursday, June 05, 2008

Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Release Date: 06/12/08
Genre: Rock

Never been a fan. Coldplay has always been a lame band that somehow became one of the world's most popular band with mediocre music. I was mainly interested in this album because Brian Eno was producing it.

Review: Really great instrumental track to kick off the album. I really wish the sound quality of it was crisp, but I suppose there was a point of it. Second track, "Cemeteries of London" really gets the album going. Great momentum and great sounds through out. It almost has a spiritual influence here.

"Lost?" is alright. "42" is alright.

The best song of the album belongs to "Lovers In Japan." The music is just so disney. I enjoy the upbeatness and the subtle guitar rifts and the swirling way the music makes me feel. The ending of "Yes" which wikipedia is telling me is called "Chinese Sleep Chant" is awesome. Very smooth, very mellow with the rush flavor.

"Viva la Vida" has been available for quite some time, but I never gave it a good listen til now. I think it's a pretty good track, but it still bugs me when a song ends simply by repeating the chorus a few more times.

For the most part, the album is a good listen. With repeated listening, I find myself not caring about the lesser tracks and only caring about 2 or 3 tracks.

Summary: Coldplay made an Coldplay album that doesn't sound like them. There's still some songs that feel flat, but they don't bore me like their past albums. I really enjoy the overall ambient feel.

Key Tracks: Cemeteries of London, Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love, Yes!
Rating: 7/10

No comments: