Saturday, October 07, 2023

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time

Release Date:  July 28, 2023

I wish her music was more radio ready because on first listen, it felt very okay. 

Review:  Even after pitchfork gave "Psychedelic Switch" best new track, I was kinda confused because it sounded like a recycled Daft Punk song. But its grown on me. I still think the opening track has a bad chorus. The next trio of songs were okay. I think Shy Boy has something working, but not quite a banger. "Shadow" felt like nothing, but over time, the chorus felt like tiptoeing my brain and i found it to be so soothing. I also really like "So Right." It's not in your face, but the melody for the pre-chrous "but you know the deal..." sounds so good. I think once those songs won me over, the rest feel into place. The album ends with "Stadium Love" and it gives me "when i needed you" vibes in how she sorta chants or yells.

Summary:  Its not fair to want her to make Emotion side C, but for what it is, this album has some of her best song.

Favorite Songs: Shadow, So Right, Stadium Love
Rating: 8/10

No comments: