Monday, April 28, 2008

50 reviews!

So I finally reached 50, took longer than I had plan. I wanted to do a review a day, which is reasonable because I download 3-5 albums a day. But then I felt like it was pointless to review old albums and then i felt it was pointless to review bad albums for bands no one has heard of. I just download a lot and keep what I like. I'm mainly using my ears to judge. I don't research the band's history unless I'm familiar with them beforehand. So this is just a hobby of mine, but I though it was hilarious that "The New Frontiers" actually quoted me on their myspace page. I'm not a music expect. I go through so many musical phases, I even question my taste 10 weeks later.

Anyways, at 50 reviews, my standings are:
I wanted my 'tens' to feel like an 'eleven.' I didn't know exactly how it'll work, but I think i got the hang of being consistence with my rating system. I got the whole "my story/their story" from 411's music reviews. The unlabled opening is just me writing a brief intro on how i discovered them, or if they are new, what caught me. And I got the whole 'key tracks' from The Silent Ballet's top album of the year list. I also based part of my rating system on them. They never give tens.

Here's a rough chart on how I based mine on.

1: shit
2: boring
3: not good
4: bad > good
5: mediocre
6: okay if forced to listen
7: good > bad
8: recommended
9: buy it
10: perfect (will shift musical taste)

I'm gonna try to get 100 before the end of the year so I'm gonna try to make quick reviews of past and future records.

No comments: