Monday, December 29, 2008

Butch Walker - Sycamore Meadows

Release Date: 11/11/08
Genre: Alternative Rock

I had a close friend who really loved the song "Mixtape,"but I somehow couldn't connect with him. Years later, this album comes out. Surprise surprise?

Review: So his uptempo stuff get me into this groove, but then his moody shit is like...fuck man. why you gotta do this to me. I read praises for "Here Comes The...." and "Vessels" and I enjoy them to some extend, but I also feel that it's borderline cookie cutter radio pop songs. My favorite song, "Going Back/Going Home" reminds me a bit of some indie pop band. O well, I love it. Then "Passed Your Place, Saw Your Car, Thought Of You" is a great story song. Very sentimental. The album closer tries to repeat it, but it doesn't work for me. Sounds like a rip off song. Now the album varies with high highs with low lows. Because of that, I notice with repeated listens, I can't stand it. When I handpick which songs I do like, it looks to be about 60ish percent.

Summary: All of his songs are listenable, but with repeated listens, I don' want to wait for those great songs. So the weaker songs get weaker while the stronger ones that drawn me in get stronger.

Key Tracks: Going Back / Going Home, Passed Your Place, Saw Your Car, Thought Of You, The 3 Kids In Brooklyn
Rating: 6/10

No comments: