Sunday, December 05, 2010

2010: Album(s) of the Year

What happened to your new year's resolution?

========================================

25. Fang Island - Fang Island
This might as well be an instrumental album because the singing is just another layer for me. At only 31 minutes, the songs move fairly quick without any major changes. I feel that it works only as a whole and they have this young, maybe 8-bit smile that's just really sunny and joyous.
Favorite Songs: Careful Crossers, Daisy, Sideswiper
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Daisy

24. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
None of the songs here are awful, but I find it difficulty to listen to this album without skipping (Rococo, Half Light I, Month of May), but then there are songs that are really amazing.
Favorite Songs: Ready To Start, City With No Children, Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Ready To Start

23. The Roots - How I Got Over
Because they are now the house band for Jimmy Fallon, I figured their best days were behind them. But as i grew to enjoy Jimmy's Late Night, so did my love for The Roots. "How I Got Over" is basically a great album and because they use live instruments, it has more soul. I like how smooth overall it is.
Favorite Songs: Walk Alone, Now or Never, The Fire
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Dear God 2.0

22. Girl Talk - All Day
"All he does is take other people's music." So yeah, compared to Feed The Animal, Greg Grills goes less artistic and adventurous and basically keeps the songs faithful to themselves, like there's usually a main source and the main vocal with good transitions in between. I find it to be enjoyable, but it didn't make me jump out of my seat like his '08 album did. Plus it's fun to play "spot the sample."
Favorite section: - Down for the Count

21. Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can
My Love. 
Favorite Songs: Blackberry Stone, Goodbye England (Covered In Snow), What He Wrote
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Blackberry Stone

========================================

20. Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
Heck yeah afrobeat! This band knows how to make dynamic music. Great pacing as well.
Favorite Songs: Swim, Slow Jabroni, Catholic Pagans
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Swim




19. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
From what I heard in the past, nothing on "Plastic Beach" really said "Feel Good Inc" or even "Clint Eastwood" so i mistakenly dismissed it. Thankfully I gave it another chance when a friend of mine asked if i had this album.
Favorite Songs: Rhinestone Eyes, Superfast Jellyfish, On Melancholy Hill
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's On Melancholy Hill

18. Wolf Parade - Expo 86
I love Spencer Krug. [inserts reasons why and explain how Krug and Dan Boeckner made Expo 86 feel united]
Favorite Songs: What Did My Lover Say? (It Always Had To Go This Way), Pobody's Nerfect, Yulia
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's What Did My Lover Say?



17. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
Dance-punk! Well not much different from Sound of Silver.
Favorite Songs: All I Want, I Can Change, Home
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Home


16. She & Him - Volume Two
<3 Zooey  
Favorite Songs: Don't Look Back, Lingering Still, Over It Over Again
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's In The Sun




========================================

15. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Borderlines on shoe-gaze and pop with a fragile vocalist, this album is pretty spacey.
Favorite Songs: Desire Lines, Helicopter, He Would Have Laugh
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Helicopter



14. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
It would have been amazing if this album was a masterpiece. Instead, this is an album that insures the fans The Gaslight Anthem know who they are.
Favorite Songs: The Queen of Lower Chelsea, Orphans, The Spirit of Jazz
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's American Slang



13. Sun Airway - Nocturne Of Exploded Crystal Chandelier
A beautiful and sometimes ambient album.
Favorite Songs: Oh, Naoko, Waiting on You, Put the Days Away
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's American West



12. Robyn - Body Talk
I didn't bother listening to p.1 and p.2 so hearing the final package for the first time was seriously ridiculously catchy. 2010 was a year where i embraced the radio single and "Body Talk" has so much of them. Lots of it is dance, but i like how celebratory it feels as well as its more intimate moments. For those that complain that pop music has no substance, Robyn isn't one of them.
Favorite Songs: Dancing On My Own, Hang With Me, Call Your Girlfriend
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Hang With Me

11. Delorean - Subiza
Seems like every year, there's a summer breezy dance album that I can't put down. 08 was Air France, 09 was jj, and now this year it's Delorean. Sometimes it feels a bit like Panda Bear because of the male vocal harmonies. I don't know what they are saying most of the time, but I just know it sounds good.
Favorite Songs: Stay Close, Grow, Simple Graces
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Stay Close

========================================

10. Owen Pallett - Heartland/A Swedish Love Story
Very Adventurist
Favorite Songs: The Great Elsewhere, Lewis Takes off His Shirt, Tryst With Mephistopheles
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Lewis Takes off His Shirt




9. Taylor Swift - Speak Now
Swift is a prime example of a star who shines so bright, that even anti-country fans like myself need something to satisfy their curiosity. What made me love "Fearless" was how easy it was to picture these songs as stories and seeing them through her eyes while realizing that she's still a human being. "Speak Now" is basically that step after.
Favorite Songs: Sparks Fly, Back To December, The Story of Us
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Sparks Fly

8. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
I don't know how old these guys are, but their loose concept album about the civil war really sums up what it's like being young and growing. It's also a very manly album with manly vocals and manly growls. It does feel like these guys are preparing for a battle and I love the guitars in this because it's so flashy, but melodic. my best way to sum it up, it kicks ass.
Favorite Songs: A More Perfect Union, No Future Part Three: Escape From No Future, Theme From "Cheers"
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's A More Perfect Union

7. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
"Tightrope" did nothing for me until i saw her on Letterman. When i finally give it the listen it deserved, I was taken back. It's a concept album of her alter ego that time travels which is cool, but I can't relate to it. Still, her genre jumping and drive to succeed makes this album an amazing experience. It's like seeing a movie with no visuals.
Favorite Songs: Cold War, Oh, Maker, 57821
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Tightrope

6. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz/All Delighted People
Whenever i look up wikipedia entries for artist that have been around for 20+ years, there's usually a peak period and I always feel bad for the follow up albums that never receive attention. With no words on a proper follow up to Illinois, I was beginning to accept that Sufjan's golden era was long gone. Then perhaps a smart move, he surprised the whole online music community with an EP and announced "The Age of Adz" soon after. Even with an open mind, The Age of Adz is a lot to take in. Covering it all is glitchy electronics, but his sweeping instrumentation can be found. To say this is an experimental album is an understatement. Still, Sufjan captures a more personal narrative about life and death and I'm glad he's pushing himself.
Favorite Songs: Age of Adz, Vesuvius, Impossible Soul
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Too Much

========================================

5. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt/Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird
So he sorta sounds like Bob Dylan and on paper, it's still mostly an album with a guy and his guitar. But since the first day I gave The Wild Hunt a proper listen, the album hasn't lost any of its heart. Somehow, this man created some deep powerful sounds that continue to draw emotion from me. Not enough to shard a tear, but his untrained voice has so much passion, it doesn't seem real.
Favorite Songs: Troubles Will Be Gone, Love is All, A Lion's Heart
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Love is All

4. Beach House - Teen Dream
I used to think Victoria Legrand's voice was rather disgusting for a female. It was very deep and throaty, but there was something about "Zebra" that made me come back to the album. Eventually i allowed "Team Dream" to fully play out and now i find her voice soothing and sensual. The 2-piece band uses a keyboard, guitar and a drum machine. I visualize the songs to be a liquidity mixture and this album just lightly stirs it up. I love how Victoria can cradle words and slur them. She displays longing so well. Sometimes I'll get lost and she'll draw me back in.
Favorite Songs: Zebra, Norway, 10 Mile Stereo
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Used To Be

3. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
A triple album?! I was thrilled, but nervous. Ms. Newsom is one of a kind and two hours of her in her distinct style made me think that she had nobody to teach her about bonus tracks, but to my enjoyment, the album works as individual disk or as a collective whole. I didn't think she could surpass "Ys" but "Have One on Me" certainly feels like its own fairy tale. When she plays the harp, it's magical. I get enchanted into her world. Her voice has gotten prettier and there's so much hidden melodies in her songs. With 18 songs, this album will last me awhile.
Favorite Songs: Good Intentions Paving Company, In California, Ribbon Bows
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's On a Good Day

2. The National - High Violet
Are The National the band of my twenties? It certainly feels that way. Having discovered them with Boxer in 2007 and having them grow on me throughout the past 2 years, I wasn't sure what step they could possibly take on their new album that could impact me as much. I just wanted it to be their best. "High Violet" is much of the same as "Boxer", but with less finger-picking and more casualness. Songs like "Runaway" and "Terrible Love" immediately grabbed me, but the whole album came together with repeated listens. Most of the bands I follow seem to have reached their peak, but "High Violet" is a display of a band doing their own thing and perfecting their sound. These guys are at in their prime.
Favorite Songs: Terrible Love, Lemonworld, Conversation 16
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Terrible Love

1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Who could have predicted that after the vma incident, Kanye would released his Magnum opus. Similar to how i embraced gaga after last year's vma's, it was Kanye's performance at this year's vma's that got me amped up for his latest album because based on the previous rumored title, "Good Ass Job," i was thinking it'll just be like another hip-hop album like Graduation and although it lingers on the rap/hip hop side, it feels so much more. Production wise, this album is loaded with great samples and great hooks, but what makes this album so bold is how it basically doesn't follow the model of traditional rap albums with tracks averaging the 5-6 minute mark. Lyrically, it deals with Kanye's fame, love, and insecurities moving from his highs and lows. Aside from "All of the Lights," none of the songs really say radio friendly, yet his delivery is stronger than ever that lyrics actually stick with me and none of the guest stars are out of their element. They only highen the songs. I love that Kanye is aware of his egomaniac personality and can step back and self-evaluates. This album basically lets listeners into his creative mind. It blows me away how much effort was put into this record. It's hard to expect anything less now.
Favorite Songs: All of the Lights, Blame Game, Lost in the World
if you only have time for one song, make sure it's Runaway

No comments: