Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2013: Song(s) of the Year

Another year, another list.  If 2012 was my "after," then 2013 is my major malfunction.  It was disheartening not being accepted back into SJSU.  It was devastating to get ignored, lied to and subsequently, banish from my virtual home.  Music has always been a personal documentation for me because i don't have a lot of 3-dimensional friends.  but after losing one of my support beams for basically telling her that she's the reason why I made a change for the better, the only words i can describe it is, heartbreaking.
It really fucks with your confidence if a person who knows your insides and outs no longer wants to be part of it.  if the "best" version of myself isn't worth her time, why would anyone else want me in their lives.  and i know i can't function with the mindset that everyone will turn out that way, but here i am.  This is part of my story, a bunch of time invested gone to waste.  My only constants are the music I've bonded with.  I'm not as diverse as i once was, but i suppose that comes with age.  My musical boundaries are beginning to harden.  but hey, at least i've never lied to anyone.

====================
Honorable mention: Jack Swagger's Entrance Music
holy shit.  when he debut was this song,, total badass.

Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Ylvis - The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?)
====================

50. Rhye - Open
lot a like of people, I thought it was a female singer.
"i wanna make this plain"

49. Foals - My Number
one of my new addition to my gym playlist.
"bang-bangin’, ask for more"

48. Ariana Grande - The Way
this is not ashanti and ja rule.  but it's such a throwback to the early 2000s
"i got a bad boy, must admit it (HEEEEEEEEY)"

47. Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
that guitar rift.  so badass.  you know it.
"i'm sorry to interrupt it's just i'm constantly on the cusp of trying"

46. Sky Ferreira - Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)
really hazy, but the title of the song is one of my frustrations in life so it resonates with me.
"nobody asked me if i was okay no no no no no no no"

45. Pusha T - 40 Arces
big kudos for The Dream for doing the hook.
"i'd rather die, than go home"

44. Demi Lovato - Something That We're Not
as a guy who frequently over-values a friendship with the opposite gender, this is one of my favorite laugh out loud moments of the year.  talk about friendzoning!  plus, you know i love my assembly line pop music.
"not gonna happen dude"

43. Lorde - Royals
I don't care she's is/was 16, my first exposure to her was on my alternative rock station.  Very surprise that it caught on with the world, but there arent a lot of singles like Royals currently. she's part hip-hop, part relateable.
"we crave a different kind of buzz"

42. Sam Smith - Safe With Me
the way his voice morphs during the chorus, it's pretty delicate.
"don't you know your secret's safe with me"

41. Volcano Choir - Byegone
i know, it's not much different from bon iver's stuff.
"set sail"

40. Earl Sweatshirt - Sunday
i liked the melody/beat, but eventually, i grew to appreciate the flow.
"And loving you is a little different, I don't like you a lot"

39. Mree - Into The Well
#ethereal #heaven #angel
"i swear that i've been here before"

38. Chance The Rapper - Good Ass Intro
amazing opening track. such a flashy melody.
"How many lab partners have I fucked since I got suspended?"

37. Kacey Musgraves - Follow Your Arrow
cute, catchy, and a simply message that there will always be haters.
"follow your arrow wherever it points"

36. Arcade Fire - Afterlife
hey guys, we're arcade fire.
"where do we go?"

35. Daughter - Youth
I actually heard Daniela Andrade's cover of this song last year and i never sought out the original artist so when i gave the album a listen and hearing Daughter's revamped version, i just started crying because it was so beautiful.  it hits my weak-spots with the thunderous drums as it refrains from time to time.
"and if you're in love, then you are the lucky one"

34. Bill Callahan - Small Plane
look at this guy sounding all sentimental.
"i really am a lucky man"

33. Blood Orange - It Is What It Is
you know i'm a sucker for male/female vocals in the same song.  i felt they compliment well.
"time will tell if you can figure this and work it out"

32. Eluvium - Don't Get Any Closer
one of those back to basic ambient tracks that i used to listen to.
"...."

31. Lady Gaga - Fashion!
what a confidence boost.  it's about looking good and feeling fine.
"slay!"

30. Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
"Suit & Tie" sucks, sorry. but mirrors was one of those "holy shit" moments i had this year.  a bit overplayed with radio, but as a guy who never saw much value in Justin, this song is ridiculous romantic in its execution.  it's disappointing radio cuts off the last 3 minutes because that's my favorite part.
"girl you're my reflection, all I see is you"

29. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines
hahaha, song of the summer!  robin thicke is married to his high school sweetheart so shut the fuck up.  and the lyrics don't mean anything to me because it's just so fun to hear Pharrell pop in and go, "hey hey hey."
"you the hottest bitch in this place"

28. J.Cole - Rich Niggaz
a rag to riches, envy the rich, struggle to not become something you despite song.
"i got a bigger fear of one day that i become you and i become lost and i become heartless"

27. Young Galaxy - Pretty Boy (Peaking Lights Remix)
Thanks pitchfork.  i heard this before the original and i just remember feeling blasted with bliss.
"we were each other's only family"

26. Paramore - Still Into You
so cute.  so catchy. so pop. it's like a shot of giddy boost.
"after all this time I'm still into you"

25. Vampire Weekend - Hanna Hunt
I thought the consensus was "Ya Hey" or "Step" to be the centerpiece.


24. London Grammar - Strong

23. Touché Amoré - Non Fiction

22. The National - Slipped

"but i'll never be anything you ever want me to be"

21. Haim - Honey & I


20. Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home


19. Deafheaven - Dream House


18. Arcade Fire - It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)


17. Phosphorescent - Song For Zula


16. Haim - The Wire
why do couples have commitment issues?


15. Kanye West - New Slaves
that opening line is going to be so iconic.  wake up!  it's true, we're all slaves to desires.  frank ocean doesn't distract and the sample of omega to conclude is pretty awesome.  What does it mean?  it's complicated.  but it's different than the norm.
"my momma was raised in the era when"

14. Chance The Rapper - Chain Smoker


13. Tegan and Sara - How Come You Don't Want Me
so heartbreaking, and oddly timed.

12. Savages - Shut Up


11. Beyoncé - XO


10. Baths - No Eyes


09. Kanye West - Hold My Liquor


08. Speedy Ortiz - No Below


07. Majical Cloudz - This Is Magic
there's this tone-deaf coating that pushes his voice out that kind of forces me to feel like time is on hold.  I get really reminiscent thinking about how i used to see the world.  And it makes me want to forgive.
"if this song is the last thing I do I feel so good"

06. Autre Ne Veut - Play By Play
and i said... man, i love intro songs and this is the best opening track of the year.  never heard of him, but of course, with word of mouth, i was bound to give him a chance.  Just love the 3 minute build up and his voice is so high.  but when the choir comes in and it just overstays its welcome for another 2 minutes, what the hell.  so silly.
"you wait for love, telling me to go, go, go"

05. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share
my 2013 crush!  why would a band call themselves "churches?"  anyways, discovering this song was heartbreaking because i'm picky with dates, but it's honestly one of my favorite songs this year.  I do have a weakness to females who sound like adolescent.  but the oh oo oo parts?  what the hell is that?  and why is it so good. what a song.  rewarded listening.
"i'm in misery where you can seem as old as your omens"

04. Haim - Falling
It sounds like a Michael Jackson track doesn't it? that's my first impression.

03. Waxahatchee - Swan Dive
This song just grabs me.

02. The National - This is the Last Time


01. The National - Don't Swallow The Cap
Love on first listen.  We got to hear this track after they released demons so my expectations were panned down.  but considering that The National have been my favorite band for most of my twenties, there has to be a moment when they start to fuzzle

No comments: