Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Islands - Arm's Way

Release Date: 05/20/08
Genre: Indie Pop/Rock

What i loved best about their debut album was how playful it was and it wasnt a funny album, but there was a good sense of humor in the atmosphere that you could just stop worrying for a moment. and sorry for the pun, but it sounded like what an island album would sound like.

Review: First two tracks are fine with me. It has the sound I'm looking for, the outrageously huge sound, but it also lasts way too long. "J'aime Vous Voire Quitter" is perhaps the most pop the album gets with its Caribbean infusion of jungle beats and the outburst right at the 1 minute mark.

After that, "Abominable Snow" carries the album just enough until "Creeper" finally begins with its groovy beats. However, the second half becomes very dragged out so the impact is spread across and I don't fully get to experience what they want me to. And I consider myself to have a high attention span concerning music, but I can't convince myself that the long passages of the songs work with me. The ending to "Life in Jail" sounds alright with me, but I stopped caring.

The instrumental sections aren't that interesting either.

Summary: Good first half, sadly the length of the songs ended up boring the album and killing the pacing.

Key Track: The Arm, J'aime Vous Voire Quitter, Creeper
Rating: 6/10

No comments: