Thursday, September 11, 2008

Anberlin - New Surrender

Release Date: 09/30/08
Genre: Alternative rock

I first heard of them on someone's banner on the old MBMB, then a certain friend of mine killed them for me just because... well, it's her. So I never gave the band a complete unbiased listen. At best, I listen to Cities only twice start to finish. Don't get me wrong, music is great, but the vocals just don't deliver for me. Also, rock music isn't the same for me anymore.

Review: So the first 3 tracks are probably the album's best. "The Resistance" is cool on its own. Great bangs, but it's "Breaking" that gets everything done right and it has a high chance of appearing on my best-of list at the end of the year. So because of that, I'm a bit more clingy to the first half of this album. And their harder, faster pace songs are more in the front.

I get a bit uninterested around "Breathe." Not a bad song, like I can appreciate the lyrics being very optimistic and it's a well done song. It just changes the shift in my head so the songs after it become a bit filler. So after repeated listens, I have nothing to look forward to after track 7. "Feel Good Drag" does nothing for me (I know it's track 5). "Burn Out Brighter (Northern Lights)" is so plain. "Haight St" sort of has this pulsing playground feel and I like some parts of "Soft Skeletons," but neither really kicks ass.

Summary: Good first half. You make breaking hearts look so easy. seems like you've done this before.

Key Tracks: Breaking, Blame Me! Blame Me!, Disappear
Rating: 7/10

No comments: