Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Release Date: 09/08/09
Genre: Alternative rock

I downloaded this on a whelm. I love it when I do that.

Review: I was reading around on the internet for whatever info I could use to help me review this album, and some places stated that this album is overproduced and it lost it's rawness. Well I can't find those pre-album stuff so I can't compare. I also thought it was funny that my top 3 tracks are from previous singles they released already. That's not really saying much is it.

I've always been displeased with vocals with strong accents (Ex: any britpop band). It just doesn't sound pleasing. Frightened Rabbit helped me accept Scottish accents easier, but the vocals for Glasvegas get a little uninteresting, especially in the final 3 songs. I do enjoy how the transitions are a little shoegaze. It's so weird how he adds a children's nursery rhyme in the first song.

So the first 7 songs are fairly enjoyable. Any type of rock fan should find some enjoyment in them. Maybe I'm in a different mindset currently, but I went from really liking it on the first listen to thinking this was standard unspecial alt-rock in the second. Still nice.

Summary: A very promising debut, but it gets tiresome after a few listens.

Key Tracks: It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry, Go Square Go, Daddy's Gone
Rating: 7/10

No comments: