Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jon Foreman - Limbs and Branches

Release Date: 10/28/08
Genre: Acoustic Rock

I did listen to his EP, but then I stopped because I wanted to wait for this compilation release so I can review it in one go without any bias. shhh, I like Fall. Also, Switchfoot is stale. It's really surprising how different his solo stuff is.

Review: The first three songs have this ethereal glow to them. Jon's voice is really unlike any Switchfoot song I've heard. He's able to sound more at ease with himself and I get this inner peace going on with his lyrics. Really nice reflective song.

"Southbound Train" sounds really familiar. I don't want to let it go because I heard this song before, but the melody sounds like it belongs on another song. Anyways, whatever it may be, great touch. Great music.

"Instead of a Show" and "Resurrect Me" both have a non-US flavor to them that I can't describe. The latter has a great hook in the chorus and nice shake shake percussion.

"A Mirror Is Harder To Hold" is another stripped down acoustic one. We'll hear horns in the background. Simple song really, but he doesn't sound lost with repeat the same lines over and over.

"Learning How To Die" crazy good. It's a quieter one just like many of the others, but this one stands out for having that self-doubting lyrics that I can't help but listen. The melodies are just perfect. The voice has such feeling.

Summary: Just like Jakob Dylan accomplish earlier this year, Jon Foreman can do it better alone. I'm really impressed. Although some songs are hmm, the ones that work truly need to be heard.

Key Tracks: The Cure For Pain, Southbound Train, Learning How To Die
Rating: 7/10

No comments: