Monday, December 01, 2008

Jordan Hull - Jordan Hull

Release Date: 05/20/08
Genre: Folk

Teddy Roosevelt. Had. Asthma.

Review: This guy was born in 1989 and already, he crafted this nice little gem of an album. Now I know my knowledge of music made before 2002 is a little embarrassing, but Bob Dylan comes to mind just because Jordan sounds very 60s folk. And the music just feels like something from another time. As for the music, it doesn't sound too technical, but in all 9 songs, none of them feel dry. Most of the track fall at the 2 or 3 minute mark making this album a breeze to listen to. Even though I wish the album were longer, it's probably a good thing as none of them overstayed their welcome. His greatest strength seems to be the melodies. Yes, that's it. I'm so bad at explaining. But if I'm listening carefully, the instrumentation is very traditional, yet his groovy melodies infect me so badly. They just rock back and forth in my mind.

Summary: Although a little short, his great vocal melodies makes this an easy album to listen to on repeat. And I've done it. 90 minutes before I noticed.

Key Tracks: Ballad of a Sinking Ship, The Pendulum, Better With You
Rating: 7/10

No comments: