Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Release Date: 01/11/10
Genre: Indie Rock

I remembered! These guys were huge two years ago. Then they got hated upon. Where was I? Well I loved their first record for being so different from the current batch of 'it' bands. Every song was full of hooks.

Review: So what happens now. Looking at the reviews, I'm super soaking surprised at how well received this album has gotten. Yes their sound didn't disappoint, but as a person, my music taste has really changed in the past two years that hearing this now just doesn't feel fresh anymore. Even their super catchy singles 'Cousins' and 'Giving up the Gun' annoy me. However, it is a strong effort especially the beginning. Hearing them solidifying their sound is interesting. But when it's over, does it still linger with me? Nothing feels like an lasting impression so the replay value is low for me. It's still an easy listen to once it is on.

Tracklist/Scorecard:
1. Horchata 9/10
2. White Sky 9/10
3. Holiday 8/10
4. California English 7/10
5. Taxi Cab 9/10
6. Run 8/10
7. Cousins 7/10
8. Giving Up the Gun 6/10
9. Diplomat's Son 7/10
10. I Think Ur a Contra 5/10

Summary: It's what I expected, got bored towards the end.

Key Tracks: Horchata, Holiday, Taxi Cab
Rating: 7.4/10

No comments: